Thursday, April 17, 2014

Margaritaville ... what?!

One hot late summer/early fall day we were enjoying some family time in St. Louis (30-40 minutes from home). All of us were sweaty and gross by the end of the outing when Frank remembered that an acquaintance was having a family birthday party only a few miles away. He got this "great" idea that we would just find some clearance rack clothes and go enjoy some more family fun.

The plan was working... I found some great sale items. The boys were changed, hair was brushed and a little of Dad's cologne on ... we were ready. We had a great time! It wasn't until we got home and the boys were in bed that I started thinking about a comment made by one of the other guests... Caleb was being ... well... Caleb... and he was greeting everyone with a smile and hug. After Caleb invaded this complete stranger's personal space the man simply stated, "Well... he's obviously going to have a good time..."

People have said some pretty strange things to me... but, most are the sort of thing that I laugh at and think, Oh, when you think about what you just said you are going to be really embarrised! But I always knew the motive behind these comments (most meant to be encouragement but just came out wrong). But this one threw me for a loop... what was I missing? ... the guy was kind to Caleb... so what was so "obvious" about Caleb (just Caleb) having a good time... it was not said in a "poor boy with special needs" sort of tone... I was missing something... something obvious... but what?

A day or two later I was getting Caleb ready for school. I pulled out his new shirt, because it is a beautiful blue and makes his eyes pop! As I admired my handsome young man, looking so stylish and preteen'ish it hit me! As I read the screen print on this t-shirt I realized what it said: MARGARITAVILLE!

Oh my goodness... I bought and dressed my 10 year old son with Down syndrome in a shirt that said Margaritaville on it! WOW... talk about a bad mommy moment! I instantly became embarrassed! So, yes... Caleb was going to have "a good time" according to his t-shirt... Praise God, I never sent him to school in that shirt, or I might have been even more humiliated by the school. I could hear the phone call, "Mrs. Caines, could you PLEASE bring Caleb a different shirt, because advertising alcoholic beverages is strictly prohibited at the elementary school - or any public school for that matter!"

The fact that I am not the "party" type or the "get wasted" sort makes this shirt even more funny. To say the least I have turned "Margaritaville" into my painting/work shirt. Evey time I put on "Margaritaville" I just laugh at myself. Life can be so funny... can't it?! Because... when life gives me limes I make Margaritas (even if they are virgin)!

No comments:

Post a Comment